[Python-Dev] Re: [Distutils] Questions about distutils strategy

James C. Ahlstrom jim@interet.com
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 07:16:31 -0500

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Skip Montanaro]
> > Is there some way that people writing applications in Python can set
>
> Yes, but they can't get Python to look at those before it's too late.  I
> spent a whole evening a month or two ago just trying to figure out where all
> the cruft in my Windows sys.path *came* from.  This is out-of-the-box; I

Excellent discussion Tim!

> I suspect it still wouldn't help with the problem I was facing, though.
> That is, I wanted to be able to tell people to run
>
> \\dragres01\mrec\reduce\python \\dragres01\mrec\reduce\reduce.py
>
> which is just a Windows way of saying "run a Python executable from a shared
> network location".  When they tried that, though, the network Python looked
> in *their* individual registries for its Python path info, and some of the
> hackers with mondo customized Python setups on their own machines watched
> things go down in flames.

I think a sensible way to run little apps is to put everything
in an archive file including the main.py.  On Windows you
concattenate that to python.exe, and it Just Works.

> Windows registry serves.  Is there anyone on Windows who *doesn't* have
> their Python Lib/ etc as direct subdirectories of the directory containing
> python.exe?  Not that I've seen.

Point on the curve.  We don't.  We freeze everything except the main.py.

JimA