[Python-Dev] Enabling more modules by default

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 00:54:41 -0500

Andrew M. Kuchling [akuchlin@mems-exchange.org] wrote:
> Andy Robinson writes:
> >...  So if you want to make PDFs, having zlib
> >around is very useful indeed...
>
> This raises a good point, though I still dislike the idea of including
> the zlib library.  It would be nice if Setup.in would be autogenerated
> to compile all the modules it can -- bsddb if it finds libdb, zlib if
> it finds libz.a.  I vaguely recall once working on a Python script that
> would generate a customized Setup.in file, though I can't find it at
> the moment.  Given that someone has already suggested automatically
> enabling threads on those platforms that support it, why not go all
> the way?

WEll, one warning about BSDdb, is that it comes in 3 incarnations that
all might be -ldb :-):

	1.85
	2.x
	3.x

and they are NOT compatible with eachother.  1.85 has serious brain damage,
and honestly I'd love to see Robin Dunn's 2.x work rolled in to replace it,
but not sure how viable that is---people might actually want the 1.85 breakage.

Chris