[Python-Dev] Missing POSIX functions: the list

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 03:33:47 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> Greg Stein writes:
>  > No need to do a new type. Just wrap the DIR* into a PyCObject. Add a magic
>  > number if you're worried about mixing CObjects.
>
>   That's certainly one option, but I would have made readdir(),
> seekdir(), rewinddir() and closedir() into the methods read(), seek(),
> rewind() and close().  So it's a question of what interface you
> prefer; functions with magically interpreted token parameters (kind of
> like file descriptors, hey!), or something that is more recognizably
> object-oriented.
>   I know my preference.  ;-)

Well, I know my preference of those two alternatives, too :-), but if
we're going with the Pythonic minimalism, then I'd think you would expose
the functions "as close as possible."

Would I argue if you went with a method-based approach? No :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/