[Python-Dev] Zip format

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 14:07:08 +0100

Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> wrote:
> There are all kinds of things that we can do here. Consider mmap'ing the
> archive into a shared memory segment, used by all the Python processes on
> the system... woo! :-)

it doesn't really look like this, but I hope we're defining
interfaces here, and not just "one true solution".  I'd be
very annoyed if it turned out that we couldn't use works'
archives with the new standard importer...

> As Guido also mentions, an installer can just bring along zlib if they
> want to use a compressed archive. i.e. their choice.

in the pythonworks universe, the installer and the
application is the same thing...

</F>