[Python-Dev] Re: [Distutils] Questions about distutils strategy

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 12:06:36 -0500

[Guido]
> I propose to use Gary Brown's code.  I'll defend this to CNRI's
> lawyers if need be.

If there's a hassle, I can do a clean-room implementation easily enough --
although I'd rather not.

> Jim, have you checked that this is the right CRC to use for zip's CRC?

If WinZip unzips Jim's files without griping, the odds that he's got the
wrong CRC are about 1 in 2**36 <wink>.

> (This in the light of Tim's assertion that there are many CRCs
> around.)

There are, and several others are hiding in assorted communications stds
(e.g., Ethernet uses a different 32-bit CRC); but the zip CRC is the one
you'll find most commonly described on the Web.

All the same, once Jim releases his code, I'll do an anal verification that
it's the right one.