[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Lib getopt.py,1.7,1.8

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 15:53:50 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> [Fred Drake]
> >   This breaks as soon as the standard exceptions are strings; does
> > this mean -X will be removed in the next release?  (Please????)
>
> Not a bad idea.
>
> Anybody got a reason why -X should stay?

Kill it.

> (The next step would be to outlaw raise with a string argument; I
> think I can't make that for 1.6.  But it would be a good idea to scan
> the standard library for string exceptions and convert all of them.)

Keep string exceptions. I think there is probably a lot of code that still
uses them. I know I do :-)

We can issues warnings about string exceptions via the type-checking tool.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/