[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Lib getopt.py,1.7,1.8

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@python.org
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 18:54:04 -0500 (EST)

    Guido> Yes, but class-based user exceptions existed many Python
    Guido> versions before class-based standard exceptions!

True, but I suspect that legacy class-based user exceptions are rare.
I might be wrong, but you're absolutely right that these would all be
broken.

    Guido> Two examples in the standard library: ConfigParser.py and
    Guido> xdrlib.py.

Fortunately these are fixed with two 11 character patches :)

I'm not necessarily arguing for or against tightening this.

-Barry