[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Lib getopt.py,1.7,1.8

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:23:29 -0500 (EST)

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > (The next step would be to outlaw raise with a string argument; I
 > think I can't make that for 1.6.  But it would be a good idea to scan
 > the standard library for string exceptions and convert all of them.)

  I don't know if requiring class-based exceptions will make the
runtime any simpler, but that seems the only reason to do it.
  The only reason to remove -X, and possibly the string exception
fallback code, is to ensure that we *can* subclass Exception and
friends without having to catch TypeError and do something different.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>