[Python-Dev] Fixed-decimal types

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 11:37:10 -0500

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> What would be scale of the product of two fixed-decimal numbers?
> E.g. is 2.00L * 2.00L equal to 4.0000L, or equal to 4.00L?  There are
> arguments for either.  Same question for division (harder, I think).

I'd be inclined to start by doing some research to see if some standard
(SQL?) defines this somewhere.  It would be nice if someone has already
done the requirements work for us. :)

> I like the idea of using the dd.ddL notation for this.
>
> I have no time to implement

Me neither.

> it but would not be unwilling to accept patches.

Cool.  If no one else volunteers, then I'll try to find a way
to get this done (not necessarily by me). I think it is pretty
important.

> They would have to be accompanied with a wet signature, see
> http://www.python.org/1.5/wetsign.html.

Yup.

Jim

repeats.