[Python-Dev] re: Open Source design competition / Python / software tools

gvwilson@nevex.com gvwilson@nevex.com
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:24:05 -0500 (EST)

Hi, everyone.  I'm sending my reply to Jim's message to the whole
python-dev list; I'll send follow-ups to individuals if people would
prefer.

> > * an issue tracking system to replace Gnats and Bugzilla;
> >
> > * a build system to replace make;
> >
> > * a platform inspection and configuration system to replace autoconf;
> >   and
> >
> > * a testing framework to replace XUnit, Expect, and DejaGnu.

> Jim Fulton asked:
> Are these categories fixed?

For the first round, yes --- I have to prove that this model can solve
small problems before I'll be given the funding to tackle larger ones, and
I think that a UML modeling tool is definitely "large" :-).  I also have
to demonstrate uptake, and I think more people will adopt a sane
replacement for Autoconf in the next 18 months than would adopt a UML
modeler.  However, decent Open Source CASE tools are very (very) high on
my personal list --- if this works, I'd like to tackle them (along with
providing support for DDD, and a few other thingsl ike that).

Greg