[Python-Dev] re: Open Source design competition / Python /software tools

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 16:09:29 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, Jim Fulton wrote:
> gvwilson@nevex.com wrote:
> >--- I have to prove that this model can solve
> > small problems before I'll be given the funding to tackle larger ones, and
> > I think that a UML modeling tool is definitely "large" :-).
>
> Well, since you gave rational ..... :)
>
> <speech>
> Isn't the Open Source community especially good at large problems?

Very true, I agree, but part of Greg's problem is "proving" that to the
DoE. Somebody has said those four problems are sufficient to do so, and
(probably) because they are reasonably constrained to allow completion
within a specified timeframe.

> Note that I'm thinking more in terms of an open source UML community
> of tools, based around an existing repository rather than on a single
> monolithic tool.  I envision a community of diagramming and other small
> tools orbiting Zope or ZODB. The hardest part of a UML tool is the
> repository, and I think we've mostly got that.

Greg's proposal is quite specific. "A community" isn't, so it might not
help to create a proof to the DoE (otherwise, they could look at the Zope
community, or other communities!).

Jim: there isn't anything stopping or impeding the creation of an Open
Source community for UML modeling. This DoE competition won't affect
that...

Happy Holidays,
-g

--