Fake threads (was [Python-Dev] ActiveState & fork & Perl)

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 13:25:20 -0500

I'll second Ken's congratulations to Christian!

[Christian]
> ... Full continuations
> cannot be expressed by coroutines. All the rest is true.

I beg enlightenment from someone more familiar with these
high-falutin' concepts. Would the following characterization be
accurate?

All these beasts (continuations, coroutines, generators) involve the
idea of "resumable", but:

 A generator's state is wholly self-contained
 A coroutines's state is not necessarily self-contained but it is
stable
 Continuations may have volatile state.

Is this right, wrong, necessary, sufficient...??

goto-beginning-to-look-attractive-ly y'rs

- Gordon