[Python-Dev] RE: Python on Windows chapter.

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:15:20 -0700

Tim Peters wrote:

> >> I was discussing appending the mode ("t" or "b") to the open() call
>
> > In addition, 't' probably isn't even supported on many Unix systems!
>
> 't' is not ANSI C, so there's no guarantee that it's portable.  Hate to say
> it, but Python should really strip t out before passing a mode string to
> fopen!

Should we also filter the socket type when creating sockets? Or the
address family? What if I pass "bamboozle" as the fopen mode? Should
that become "bab" after filtering? Oh, but what about those two "b"
characters? Maybe just reduce it to one? We also can't forget to filter
chmod() arguments... can't have unknown bits set.

etc etc

In other words, I think the idea of "stripping out the t" is bunk.
Python is not fatherly. It gives you the rope and lets you figure it out
for yourself. You should know that :-)

Cheers,
-g

--