[Python-Dev] ActiveState & fork & Perl

Guido van Rossum guido at CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Mon Jun 7 18:56:22 CEST 1999

> Well, I find the fork() model to be a very simple one to use, much easier
> to manage than threads or full-fledged IPC.  So, while I don't rely on it
> in any crucial way, it's quite convenient at times.

Can you give a typical example where you use it, or is this just a gut
feeling?

It's also dangerous -- e.g. unexpected errors may percolate down the
wrong stack (many mailman bugs had to do with forking), GUI apps
generally won't be cloned, and some extension libraries don't like to
be cloned either (e.g. ILU).