[Python-Dev] ActiveState & fork & Perl

Jim Fulton jim at digicool.com
Mon Jun 7 19:07:59 CEST 1999

David Ascher wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> > When I saw this, my own response was simply "those poor Perl suckers
> > are relying too much of fork()."  Am I wrong, and is this also a habit
> > of Python programmers?
>
> Well, I find the fork() model to be a very simple one to use, much easier
> to manage than threads or full-fledged IPC.  So, while I don't rely on it
> in any crucial way, it's quite convenient at times.

Interesting.  I prefer threads because they eliminate the *need*
for an IPC.  I find locks and the various interesting things you can build
from them to be much easier to deal with and more elegant than IPC.
I wonder if the perl folks are also going to emulate doing IPC in the
same process. Hee hee. :)

Jim

--
Jim Fulton           mailto:jim at digicool.com   Python Powered!