[Python-Dev] ActiveState & fork & Perl

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Tue Jun 8 03:22:59 CEST 1999

Skip Montanaro writes:
>True enough, but as Guido pointed out, enabling threads by default would
>immediately make the Mac a second-class citizen.  Test cases and demos would

    One possibility might be NSPR, the Netscape Portable Runtime,
which provides platform-independent threads and I/O on Mac, Win32, and
Unix.  Perhaps a thread implementation could be written that sat on
top of NSPR, in addition to the existing pthreads implementation.
See http://www.mozilla.org/docs/refList/refNSPR/.

    (You'd probably only use NSPR on the Mac, though; there seems no
point in adding another layer of complexity to Unix and Windows.)

When religion abandons poetic utterance, it cuts its own throat.
    -- Robertson Davies, _Marchbanks' Garland_