[Python-Dev] ActiveState & fork & Perl

Guido van Rossum guido at CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Tue Jun 8 14:46:51 CEST 1999

> Is there a way with configure to determine whether or not particular Unix
> variants should have threads enabled or not?  If so, I think that's the way
> to go.  I think it would be unfortunate to enable it by default, have it
> appear to work on some known to be unsupported platforms, but then bite the
> programmer in an inconvenient place at an inconvenient time.

That's not so much the problem, if you can get a threaded program to
compile and link that probably means sufficient support exists.  There
currently are checks in the configure script that try to find out
which thread library to use -- these could be expanded to disable
threads when none of the known ones work.

Anybody care enough to try hacking configure.in, or should I add this
to my tired TODO list?