[Python-Dev] ActiveState & fork & Perl

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov at inrialpes.fr
Wed Jun 9 00:29:27 CEST 1999

Jack Jansen wrote:

> NSPR looks rather promising! Does anyone has any experiences with it? What I'd
> also be interested in is experiences in how it interacts with the "real" I/O
> system, i.e. can you mix and match NSPR calls with normal os calls, or will
> that break things?

I've looked at it in the past. From memory, NSPR is a fairly big chunk of
code and it seemed to me that it's self contained for lots of system stuff.
Don't know about I/O, but I played with it to replace the BSD malloc it uses
with pymalloc and I was pleased to see the resulting speed & mem stats after
rebuilding one of the past Mozilla distribs. This is all the experience I have
with it.

> The latter is important for Python, because there are lots of external
> libraries, and while some are user-built (image libraries, gdbm, etc) and
> could conceivably be converted to use NSPR others are not...

I guess that this one would be hard...

       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov at inrialpes.fr