[Python-Dev] String methods... finally

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Fri Jun 11 06:26:49 CEST 1999

    Barry> Some of the string module functions don't make sense as string
    Barry> methods, like join, and others never had a C implementation so
    Barry> weren't added, like center.

I take it string.capwords falls into that category.  It's one of those
things that's so easy to write in Python and there's no real speed gain in
going to C, that it didn't make much sense to add it to the strop module,
right?

I see the following functions in string.py that could reasonably be
methodized:

    ljust, rjust, center, expandtabs, capwords

That's not very many, and it would appear that this stuff won't see
widespread use for quite some time.  I think for completeness sake we should
bite the bullet on them.

BTW, I built it and think it is very cool.  Tipping my virtual hat to Barry,
I am...

Skip Montanaro	| Mojam: "Uniting the World of Music" http://www.mojam.com/
skip at mojam.com  | Musi-Cal: http://www.musi-cal.com/
518-372-5583