[Python-Dev] String methods... finally

Guido van Rossum guido at CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Fri Jun 11 07:16:29 CEST 1999

> On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>
> > It occurred to me just a few minutes after sending my previous message that
> > it might make sense to make string.join a method for lists and tuples.
> > They'd obviously have to make the same type checks that string.join does.
>
> as in:
>
>    >>> ['spam!', 'eggs!'].join()
>    'spam! eggs!'

Note that this is not as powerful as string.join(); the latter works
on any sequence, not just on lists and tuples.  (Though that may not
be a big deal.)

I also find it slightly objectionable that this is a general list
method but only works if the list contains only strings; Dave Ascher's
generalization to reduce() is cute but strikes me are more general
than useful, and the name will forever present a mystery to most
newcomers.

Perhaps join() ought to be a built-in function?