[Python-Dev] String methods... finally

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Jun 11 09:03:19 CEST 1999

Barry wrote:
> Some of the string module functions don't make sense as
> string methods, like join, and others never had a C
> implementation so weren't added, like center.

fwiw, the Unicode module available from pythonware.com
implements them all, and more importantly, it can be com-
piled for either 8-bit or 16-bit characters...

join is a special problem; IIRC, Guido came up with what
I at that time thought was an excellent solution, but I
don't recall what it was right now ;-)

anyway, maybe we should start by figuring out what methods
we really want in there, and then figure out whether we
should have one or two independent string implementations
in the core...

</F>