[Python-Dev] stackable ints [stupid idea (ignore) :v]

Christian Tismer tismer at appliedbiometrics.com
Fri Jun 11 20:17:46 CEST 1999

David Ascher wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Aaron Watters wrote:
>
> > I thought it would be good to be able to do the following loop with Numeric
> > arrays
> >
> >     for x in array1:
> >          array2[x] = array3[x] + array4[x]
> >
> > without any memory management being involved.  Right now, I think the
>
> FYI, I think it should be done by writing:
>
> array2[array1] = array3[array1] + array4[array1]
>
> and doing "the right thing" in NumPy.  In other words, I don't think the
> core needs to be involved.

For NumPy, this is very ok, dealing with arrays in
an array world.

Without trying to repeat myself, I'd like
to say that I still consider it an unsolved
problem which is worth to be solved or to be
proven unsolvable:

How to do simple things in an efficient
way with many tiny Python objects, without
writing an extension, without rethinking a
problem into APL like style, and without
changing the language.

ciao - chris

Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net
10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net