[Python-Dev] RE: [Python-Dev] RE: [Python-Dev] String methods... finally

Mark Hammond MHammond at skippinet.com.au
Tue Jun 15 05:13:03 CEST 1999

> "-".join("very nice indeed! ly".split()) + " y'rs  - tim"

<chortle>

But now the IDLE "CallTips" extenion seems lame.

Typing
>>> " ".join(

doesnt yield the help, where:
>>> s=" "; s.join(

does :-)

Very cute, I must say.  The biggest temptation is going to be, as I
mentioned, avoiding the use of this stuff for "general" code.  Im still
unconvinced the "sep.join" concept is natural, but string methods in
general sure as hell are.

Guido almost hinted that post 1.5.2 interim release(s?) would be
acceptable, so long as he didnt have to do it!  Im tempted to volunteer to
agree to do something for Windows, and if no other platform biggots
volunteer,  I wont mind in the least :-)  I realize it still needs settling
down, but this is too good to keep to "ourselves" (being CVS enabled
people) for too long ;-)

Mark.