[Python-Dev] Relative package imports

Mark Hammond MHammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Jun 21 13:23:34 CEST 1999

> It seems that there is not much interest in the topic...
>
> I'll be offline for the next two weeks -- maybe someone could
> pick the thread up and toss it around a bit while I'm away.

OK - here are my 2c on it:

Unless I am mistaken, this problem could be solved with 2 steps:
* Code moves to Python packages.
* The standard Python library move to a package.

If all non-trivial Python program used packages, and some agreement on a
standard namespace could be met, I think it would be addressed.  There was
a thread on the newsgroup about the potential naming of the standard
library.

You did state as much in your proposal - indeed, you state "to ease the
transition".  Personally, I dont think it is worth it, mainly because we
end up with a half-baked scheme purely for the transition, but one that can
never be removed.

To me, the question is one of:

* Why arent Zope/PIL capable of being used as packages.
* If they are (as I understand to be the case) why do people choose not to
use them as such, or why do the authors not recommend this?
* Is there a deficiency in the package scheme that makes it hard to use?
Eg, should "__" that ni used for the parent package be reinstated?

Mark.