[Python-Dev] Relative package imports

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Jun 21 14:41:27 CEST 1999

Mark Hammond wrote:
> * Why arent Zope/PIL capable of being used as packages.

PIL can be used as a package ("from PIL import Image"), assuming
that it's installed under a directory in your path.  there's one pro-
blem in 1.0b1, though: you have to explicitly import the file format
handlers you need:

import PIL.JpegImagePlugin
import PIL.PngImagePlugin

this has been fixed in 1.0 final.

> * If they are (as I understand to be the case) why do people choose not to
> use them as such, or why do the authors not recommend this?

inertia, and compatibility concerns.  we've decided that all
official material related to PIL 1.0 will use the old syntax (and
all 1.X releases will be possible to install using the PIL.pth
approach).  too many users out there...

now, PIL 2.0 is a completely different thing...

> * Is there a deficiency in the package scheme that makes it hard to use?

not that I'm aware...

</F>