[Python-Dev] ob_refcnt access

Guido van Rossum guido at CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Mon Jun 28 22:23:57 CEST 1999

> > yes I'm happy - chris
>
> You should be!  So how come nobody else is <wink/frown>?

Chris and I have been through this in private, but it seems that as
long as I don't fess up in public I'm afraid it will come back and
I'll get pressure coming at me to endorse Chris' code.

I have no problem with the general concept (see my response to Sam's
post of exciting examples).

But I have a problem with a megapatch like this that affects many
places including very sensitive areas like the main loop in ceval.c.
The problem is simply that I know this is very intricate code, and I
can't accept a patch of this scale to this code before I understand
every little detail of the patch.  I'm just too worried otherwise that
there's a reference count bug in it that will very subtly break stuff
and that will take forever to track down; I feel that when I finally
have the time to actually understand the whole patch I'll be able to
prevent that (famous last words).

Please don't expect action or endorsement of Chris' patch from me any
time soon, I'm too busy.  However I'd love it if others used the patch
in a real system and related their experiences regarding performance,
stability etc.