[Python-Dev] Merge the string_methods tag?

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Mon Jun 28 23:37:03 CEST 1999

    SM> would it be possible to merge the string methods in conditionally
    SM> (#ifdef STRING_METHODS) ...

    BAW> How clean do you want this separation to be?  Just disabling the
    BAW> actual string methods would be easy, and I'm sure I can craft a
    BAW> string.py that would work in either case (remember stropmodule.c
    BAW> wasn't even touched).

Barry,

I would be happy with having to manually #define STRING_METHODS in
stringobject.c.  Forget about the configure flag at first.  I think the main
point for experimenters like myself is that it is a hell of a lot easier to
twiddle a #define than to try merging different CVS branches to get access
to the functionality.  Most of us have probably advanced far enough on the
Emacs, vi or Notepad learning curves to handle that change, while most of us
are probably not CVS wizards.

Once it's in the main CVS branch, you can announce the change or not on the
main list as you see fit (perhaps on python-dev sooner and on python-list
later after some more experience has been gained with the patches).

Skip