[Python-Dev] Merge the string_methods tag?

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Tue Jun 29 00:30:55 CEST 1999

    BAW> Oh, I agree -- I wasn't going to add the configure flag anyway :)
    BAW> What I meant was how much of my changes should be ifdef-out-able?
    BAW> Just the methods on string objects?  All my changes?

Well, when the CPP macro is undefined, the behavior from Python should be
unchanged, yes?  Am I missing something?  There are string methods and what
else involved in the changes?  If string.py has to test to see if
"".capitalize yields an AttributeError to decide what to do, I think that
sort of change will be simple enough to accommodate.  Any new code that gets
well-exercised now before string methods become widely available is all to
the good in my opinion.  It's not fixing something that ain't broke, more
like laying the groundwork for new directions.

Skip