[Python-Dev] Is Python Free Software, free software, Open Source, open source, etc?

David Ascher da at ski.org
Wed Jun 30 08:16:01 CEST 1999

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Mark Hammond wrote:

> I just read a statement early in our book - "Python is an Open Source tool,
> ...".
>
> Is this "near enough"?  Should I avoid this term in preference for
> something more generic (ie, even simply dropping the caps?) - but the
> OS(tm) idea seems doomed anyway...

It's not certified Open Source, but my understanding is that ESR believes
the Python license would qualify if GvR applied for certification.

BTW, you won't be able to avoid flames about something or other, and given
that you're writing a Win32 book, you'll be flamed by both pseudo-ESRs and
pseudo-RMSs, all Anonymous Cowards. =)

--david