[Python-Dev] Is Python Free Software, free software, Open Source, open source, etc?

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Wed Jun 30 14:54:06 CEST 1999

    FL> imo, the best thing is of course to ignore them both, and
    FL> continue to ship great stuff under a truly open license...

Agreed, of course.  I think given the current state of affairs
(i.e. the non-trademarkability of "Open Source", but also the mind
share that little-oh, little-ess has gotten), we should say that
Python (and JPython) are "open source" projects and let people make up
their own minds about what that means.

waiting-for-guido's-inevitable-faq-entry-ly y'rs,
-Barry