[Python-Dev] Speed (was RE: [Python-Dev] More flexible namespaces.)

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat May 1 10:32:30 CEST 1999

[Andrew M. Kuchling]
> A performance improvement project would definitely be a good idea
> for 1.6, and a good sub-topic for python-dev.

To the extent that optimization requires uglification, optimization got
pushed beyond Guido's comfort zone back around 1.4 -- little has made it in
since then.

Not griping; I'm just trying to avoid enduring the same discussions for the
third to twelfth times <wink>.

Anywho, on the theory that a sweeping speedup patch has no chance of making
it in regardless, how about focusing on one subsystem?  In my experience,
the speed issue Python gets beat up the most for is the relative slowness of
function calls.  It would be very good if eval_code2 somehow or other could
manage to invoke a Python function without all the hair of a recursive C
call, and I believe Guido intends to move in that direction for Python2
anyway.  This would be a good time to start exploring that seriously.

inspirationally y'rs  - tim