[Python-Dev] Benevolent dictator versus the bureaucratic committee?

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Mon, 01 Nov 1999 11:12:37 +0100

I think I agree with Mark's post, although I do see a little more light (the
relative imports dicussion resulted in working code, for instance).

The benevolent lieutenant idea may work, _if_ the lieutenants can be found. I
myself will quickly join Mark in wishing the new python-dev well and
abandoning ship (half a :-).

If that doesn't work maybe we should try at the very least to create a
"memory". If you bring up a subject for discussion and you don't have working
code that's fine the first time. But if anyone brings it up a second time
they're supposed to have code. That way at least we won't be rehashing old
discussions (as happend on the python-list every time, with subjects like GC
or optimizations).

And maybe we should limit ourselves in our replies: don't speak up too much in
discussions if you're not going to write code. I know that I'm pretty good at
answering with my brilliant insights to everything myself:-). It could well be
that refining and refining the design (as in the getopt discussion) results in
such a mess of opinions that no-one has the guts to write the code anymore.