[Python-Dev] wish list

Sam Rushing rushing@nightmare.com
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 23:22:22 -0800 (PST)

James C. Ahlstrom writes:
 > Guido van Rossum wrote:
 > > I got the wish list below.  Anyone care to comment on how close we are
 > > on fulfilling some or all of this?
 >
 > > * GNU CC for Win32 compatibility (compilation of python interpreter and
 > > "Freeze" utility). I think MingWin32 (Mummint Khan) is a good alternative
 > > eviting the cygwin dll user.
 >
 > I don't know what this means.

mingw32: 'minimalist gcc for win32'.  it's gcc on win32 without trying
to be unix. It links against crtdll, so for example it can generate
small executables that run on any win32 platform.  Also, an
alternative to plunking down money ever year to keep up with MSVC++

I used to use mingw32 a lot, and it's even possible to set up egcs to
cross-compile to it.  At one point using egcs on linux I was able to
build a stripped-down python.exe for win32...

  http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/

-Sam