[Python-Dev] Internationalization Toolkit

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 12:26:38 -0500

[AMK]
> The proposal seems reasonable to me.

Thanks.  I really hope that this time we can move forward united...

> >(Together with a new Unicode regex engine by /F.)
>
> This is good news!  Would it be a from-scratch regex implementation,
> or would it be an adaptation of an existing engine?  Would it involve
> modifications to the existing re module, or a completely new unicodere
> module?  (If, unlike re.py, it has POSIX longest-match semantics, that
> would pretty much settle the question.)

It's from scratch, and I believe it's got Perl style, not POSIX style
semantics -- per Tim Peters' recommendations.  Do we need to open the
discussion again?

It involves a redone re module (supporting Unicode as well as 8-bit),
but its API could be unchanged.  /F does the parsing and compilation
in Python, only the matching engine is in C -- not sure how that
impacts performance, but I imagine with aggressive caching it would be
okay.