[Python-Dev] Internationalization Toolkit

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 00:57:14 -0500

[Guido, on "a new Unicode regex engine by /F"]

> It's from scratch, and I believe it's got Perl style, not POSIX style
> semantics -- per Tim Peters' recommendations.  Do we need to open the
> discussion again?

No, but I get to whine just a little <wink>:  I didn't recommend either
approach.  I asked many futile questions about HP's requirements, and
sketched implications either way.  If HP *has* a requirement wrt
POSIX-vs-Perl, it would be good to find that out before it's too late.

I personally prefer POSIX semantics -- but, as Andrew so eloquently said,
worse is better here; all else being equal it's best to follow JPython's
Perl-compatible re lead.

last-time-i-ever-say-what-i-really-think<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim