[Python-Dev] Internationalization Toolkit

Andy Robinson andy@robanal.demon.co.uk
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:13:03 -0800 (PST)

--- "Da Silva, Mike" <Mike.Da.Silva@uk.fid-intl.com>
wrote:
> As I see it, the relative pros and cons of UTF-8
> versus UTF-16 for use as an
> internal string representation are:
> [snip]
> Regards,
> Mike da Silva

Note that by going with UTF16, we get both.  We will
certainly have a codec for utf8, just as we will for
ISO-Latin-1, Shift-JIS or whatever.  And a perfectly
ordinary Python string is a great place to hold UTF8;
you can look at it and use most of the ordinary string
algorithms on it.

I presume no one is actually advocating dropping
ordinary Python strings, or the ability to do
   rawdata = open('myfile.txt', 'rb').read()
without any transformations?

- Andy

=====
Andy Robinson