[Python-Dev] Internationalization Toolkit

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 23:27:19 +1100

/F writes
> anyway, I think it would help the discussion a little bit
> if people looked at (and played with) the existing code
> base.  at least that'll change arguments like "but then
> we have to implement that" to "but then we have to
> maintain that code" ;-)

I second that.  It is good enough for me (although my requirements
arent stringent) - its been used on CE, so would slot directly into
the win32 stuff.  It is pretty much the consensus of the string-sig of
last year, but as code!

The only "problem" with it is the code that hasnt been written yet,
specifically:
* Encoders as streams, and a concrete proposal for them.
* Decent PyArg_ParseTuple support and Py_BuildValue support.
* The ord(), chr() stuff, and other stuff around the edges no doubt.

Couldnt we start with Fredriks implementation, and see how the rest
turns out?  Even if we do choose to change the underlying Unicode
implementation to use a different native encoding, the interface to
the PyUnicode_Type would remain pretty similar.  The advantage is that
we have something now to start working with for the rest of the
support we need.

Mark.