[Python-Dev] Unicode Proposal: Version 0.5

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 14:06:35 +0100

FYI, I've uploaded a new version of the proposal which incorporates
proposals for line breaks, case mapping, character properties and
private code points support.

The latest version of the proposal is available at:

        http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/unicode-proposal.txt

Older versions are available as:

        http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/unicode-proposal-X.X.txt

Some POD (points of discussion) that are still open:

    · should Unicode objects support %-formatting ?

    One possibility would be to emulate this via strings and
    <default encoding>:

    s = '%s %i abcäöü' # a Latin-1 encoded string
    t = (u,3)

    # Convert Latin-1 s to a <default encoding> string
    s1 = unicode(s,'latin-1').encode()

    # The '%s' will now add u in <default encoding>
    s2 = s1 % t

    # Finally, convert the <default encoding> encoded string to Unicode
    u1 = unicode(s2)

    · specifying file wrappers:

    Open issues: what to do with Python strings
    fed to the .write() method (may need to know the encoding of the
    strings) and when/if to return Python strings through the .read()
    method.

    Perhaps we need more than one type of wrapper here.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                    48 days left