[Python-Dev] PyErr_Format security note

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us (Barry A. Warsaw)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:54:10 -0500 (EST)

    Guido> Assuming that Linux and Solaris have vsnprintf(), can't we
    Guido> just use the configure script to detect it, and issue a
    Guido> warning blaming the platform for those platforms that don't
    Guido> have it?  That seems much simpler (from a maintenance
    Guido> perspective) than carrying our own implementation around
    Guido> (even if we can borrow the Apache version).

Mailman uses vsnprintf in it's C wrapper.  There's a simple configure
test...

# Checks for library functions.
AC_CHECK_FUNCS(vsnprintf)

...and for systems that don't have a vsnprintf, I modified a version
from GNU screen.  It may not have gone through the scrutiny of
Apache's implementation, but for Mailman it was more important that it
be GPL'd (not a Python requirement).

-Barry