[Python-Dev] Some thoughts on the codecs...

Andy Robinson andy@robanal.demon.co.uk
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:58:34 GMT

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:49:26 -0500, you wrote:

>> In summary, the current discussion is clearly doing the right things,
>> but is only covering a small percentage of what needs to be done to
>> internationalize Python fully.
>
>Agreed.  So let's focus on defining interfaces that are correct and
>convenient so others who want to add codecs won't have to fight our
>architecture!
>
>Is the current architecture good enough so that the Japanese codecs
>will fit in it?  (I'm particularly worried about the stream codecs,
>see my previous message.)

No, I don't think it is good enough.  We need a stream codec, and as
you said the string and file interfaces can be built out of that.

You guys will know better than me what the best patterns for that
are...

- Andy