[Python-Dev] Internationalization Toolkit

Andy Robinson andy@robanal.demon.co.uk
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 00:08:01 GMT

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 00:56:18 -0500, you wrote:

>[Andy Robinson]
>> I presume no one is actually advocating dropping
>> ordinary Python strings, or the ability to do
>>    rawdata = open('myfile.txt', 'rb').read()
>> without any transformations?
>
>If anyone has advocated either, they've successfully hidden it from me.
>Anyone?

Well, I hear statements looking forward to when all string-handling is
done in Unicode internally.  This scares the hell out of me - it is
what VB does and that bit us badly on simple stream operations.  For
encoding work, you will always need raw strings, and often need
Unicode ones.

- Andy