[Python-Dev] Some thoughts on the codecs...

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 03:47:46 -0500

[Jack Jansen]
> I would suggest adding the Dos, Windows and Macintosh standard
> 8-bit charsets (their equivalents of latin-1) too, as documents
> in these encoding are pretty ubiquitous. But maybe these should
> only be added on the respective platforms.

[MAL]
> Good idea. What code pages would that be ?

I'm not clear on what's being suggested; e.g., Windows supports *many*
different "code pages".  CP 1252 is default in the U.S., and is an extension
of Latin-1.  See e.g.

ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/WINDOWS/CP1252.TXT

which appears to be up-to-date (has 0x80 as the euro symbol, Unicode
U+20AC -- although whether your version of U.S. Windows actually has this
depends on whether you installed the service pack that added it!).

See

ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/PC/CP850.TXT

for the closest DOS got.