Weak refs (was [Python-Dev] just say no...)

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 22:37:18 -0500

[Fred L. Drake, Jr.]
> Guido has asked me to pursue this topic [weak refs], so I'll be
> checking out available implementations and seeing if any are
> adoptable or if something different is needed to be fully general
> and well-integrated.

Just don't let "fully general" stop anything for its sake alone; e.g., if
there's a slick trick that *could* exempt numbers, that's all to the good!
Adding a pointer to every object is really unattractive, while adding a flag
or two to type objects is dirt cheap.

Note in passing that current Java addresses weak refs too (several flavors
of 'em! -- very elaborate).