UTF-8 in source code (Re: [Python-Dev] Internationalization Toolkit)

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 13:50:20 -0500

> > Like Java, it interprets \u.... when the number of backslashes is odd,
> > but not when it's even.  So \\u.... returns exactly that, while
> > \\\u.... returns two backslashes and a unicode character.
> >
> > This is nice and can be done regardless of whether we are going to
> > interpret other \ escapes or not.
>
> So I'll take that as: this is what we want in Python too :-)

I'll reserve judgement until we've got some experience with it in the
field, but it seems the best compromise.  It also gives a clear
explanation about why we have \uXXXX when we already have \xXXXX.