[Python-Dev] CVS log messages with diffs

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us (Barry A. Warsaw)
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:30:15 -0500 (EST)

There was a suggestion to start augmenting the checkin emails to
include the diffs of the checkin.  This would let you keep a current
snapshot of the tree without having to do a direct `cvs update'.

I think I can add this without a ton of pain.  It would not be
optional however, and the emails would get larger (and some checkins
could be very large).  There's also the question of whether to
generate unified or context diffs.  Personally, I find context diffs
easier to read; unified diffs are smaller but not by enough to really
matter.

So here's an informal poll.  If you don't care either way, you don't
need to respond.  Otherwise please just respond to me and not to the
list.

1. Would you like to start receiving diffs in the checkin messages?

2. If you answer `yes' to #1 above, would you prefer unified or
   context diffs?

-Barry