[Python-Dev] Import redesign [LONG]

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 22:43:32 -0500

Jean-Claude wrote:
> Skip Montanaro wrote:
> >
> [dir stat cache times]
> > ...  Then I realized that since
> > file times are only recorded with one-second
>
> Or two, on Windows with older (FAT, as opposed to VFAT) file
> systems.

Oh lordy, it gets worse.

With a time.sleep(1.0) between new files, Linux detects the
change in the dir's mtime immediately. Cool.

On NT, I get an average 2.0 sec delay. But sometimes it
doesn't detect a delay in 100 secs (and my script quits). Then
I added a stat of some file in the directory before the stat of
the directory, (not the file I added). Now it acts just like Linux -
no delay (on both FAT and NTFS partitions). OK...

> I think.  Maybe.  Until you get into network drives and clock
> skew...

No success whatsoever in either direction across Samba. In
fact the mtime of my Linux home directory as seen from NT is
Jan 1, 1980.

- Gordon