[Python-Dev] Catching "return" and "return expr" at compile time

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 09:01:25 +1000

> Perhaps on those platforms a file could be opened in a
> standard location to
> catch stderr (I presume you can detect the lack of stderr at
> run-time?).

Not really - there are 2 scenarios here.  pythonw.exe, for example, always
has a valid stdout handle - it just goes nowhere.  When Python is embedded
in certain COM servers (such as ASP), the stdout handle is invalid -
operations on it will fail (perversely, this also means a single "print"
statement in your Python code can raise an exception and make your code
fail - and seeing as print statements are the debugging state of the art at
the moment, this is less than ideal - but I digress)

So Im not sure we can check this reasonably at runtime - invalid handles
are easy, but valid handles that go nowhere useful (as in pythonw.exe, and
therefore the majority of cases we care about) is obviously difficult.

OTOH, pythonw.exe doesnt print tracebacks either.  Although not ideal,
people arent loudly complaining about this - they know to develop and debug
using python.exe.  As the warnings we are discussing are compile time
warnings, we could simply document that they should run "compileall" over
their scripts to generate the warnings before attempting to embed it in
some sort of wierd system.

On my third hand, I would _really_ like to see this in a lint tool rather
than in the core.  I realize there is no such tool at the moment, but IMO
is where we should be heading.  Skip's return statement warnings are fine
and a nice addition, but in my experience account for a trivial number of
my errors.  Stuff like warning about a variable name used only once, for
example, will probably never get into core Python but in my opinion is far
more valuable.  So adding this "-w" switch is fine, but still doesnt give
us the framework we need to actually create a truly useful package of
warnings for the Python developer.

[And I am slowly and painfully starting work in this - a lint tool based on
the Python parser module.  Dont hold your breath though :-]

Mark.