[Python-Dev] More Python command-line features

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Wed, 08 Sep 1999 08:41:18 -0400

While we're talking about Python command-line features, I have a couple
of requests that would make life alot easier for us.

1. I'd like the options given before the script name to
   be accessable to Python scripts. For example, in:

     python -O foo.py bar spam

   I'd like to have a sys variable that told me that the arguments
   ['-O'] were included before the arguments ['foo.py', 'bar', 'spam']
   (aka sys.argv).  This is needed if I want to fork/exec (or span or
   whatever) Python with the same option.

2. I'd like to be able to supply environment variables to Python
   on the command line, as in:

     python -O -e PYTHONHOME=/Zope foo.py bar spam

   This would be very helpful in environment-variable-challenged
   environments like windows 9x, and might be handy elswhere as
   well.

If people agree that these would be good ideas, I'd ve happy
to supply a patch.

Jim

repeats.