[Python-Dev] More Python command-line features

Greg Ward gward@cnri.reston.va.us
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 08:48:49 -0400

On 08 September 1999, Jim Fulton said:

> While we're talking about Python command-line features, I have a couple
> of requests that would make life alot easier for us.
>
> 1. I'd like the options given before the script name to
>    be accessable to Python scripts. For example, in:
>
>      python -O foo.py bar spam
>
>    I'd like to have a sys variable that told me that the arguments
>    ['-O'] were included before the arguments ['foo.py', 'bar', 'spam']
>    (aka sys.argv).  This is needed if I want to fork/exec (or span or
>    whatever) Python with the same option.

Regarding -O, it would also be nice to have a higher-level way to find
out what optimization level the current interpreter is running under.
Currently, as I understand it, there's no way to predict whether
py_compile will generate .pyc or .pyo files, which is a minor annoyance
in the Distutils installation code.  However, if Jim's mythical sys
variable is guaranteed to canonicalize Python's command-line options so
that something like

   "-O" in sys.python_argv

would always answer this question, I'd be satisfied.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                    gward@cnri.reston.va.us
1895 Preston White Drive                           voice: +1-703-620-8990