[Python-Dev] Relative Package Imports

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 09:32:39 -0400

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:

> Tim Peters wrote:
> >
> > [Guido]
> > > I'd much rather use absolute package names for anything that's not in
> > > the same directory as the current module.
> >
> > [M.-A. Lemburg]
> > > Of course, you could do everything with absolute names, but then
> > > the package author would dictate the complete absolute path which
> > > is not always desirable since it can cause name collisions such
> > > as DateTime in mxDateTime and Zope or Queue in mxQueue (to be
> > > released) and Mark's win32 stuff.
> > >
> > > As more and more packages appear, we run into this problem more
> > > and more often.
> >
> > I never understand package complaints.  Maybe it's the imprecision of the
> > language people use, or maybe because it's because people don't give fully
> > fleshed-out examples.  Whatever, in the end, I never have any idea what the
> > complaint is, or in what way the solution is "solving" anything.
>
> My original post contained an example package using relative
> imports. The example uses intra-package imports across subpackage
> levels which currently is only possible using absolute module
> names (see below for a definition).

I agree that this is a valid complaint about the current scheme.

> Note that I did not want to start a discussion about absolute vs.
> relative names (I believe everybody agrees that realtive file names
> are a Good Thing). The 'import __.module' thing is not new: ni.py
> had support for this and my patch simply adds it back to the
> implementation.

And, in fact, the current scheme does let you use relative paths
to go down.

(snip)
> > > I could then make all my packages self-contained and
> > > distribute them in two forms without having to change
> > > a single line for the added support:
> > >
> > > 1. under the new 'mx' package, e.g. mx.DateTime
> > > 2. for backward compatibility under 'DateTime'
> >
> > Ah, so that's what this is about.  I vote screw #2.  Releasing it that way
> > was a mistake.
>
> Not until Zope went Open Source ;-) ...
>
> >  Better to live with the brief & finite pain of repairing it
> > than complicating Python to cover up for it.
>
> Screwing #2 is not possible unless I want all those already
> stored DateTime pickles to fail loading... ok, I could probably
> provide some kind of compatibility package which then redirects
> the import to mx.DateTime.

Regardless of how you spell the import, the pickles
*must* reflect the absolute path.  Otherwise, pickleability
depends on where you unpickle.  If you rearrange packages,
or rename modules, there is a pickling issue.  This is clearly
a problem in need of a better solution.

(snip)
> Zope is not a package AFAIK

Nope. If I had it to do over it would be.  It will be
eventually. (While Zope is not a package, it makes extensive
use of packges. Zope has a total of about 350 modules and
packages, of which about 44 are in the top-level namespace.)

> (and probably never will be due to the pickle complications),

The pickling issues are solvable in a number of ways, although
it is a bit painfull.  I considered fixing the package layout
in Zope 2, but I ran out of time. :)

> so 'import zope.this' won't work anyways
> unless you add a Zope wrapping package of your own -- and this will
> only work for Zope modules not relying on other Zope modules unless
> they use relative imports.

This is a good example. It should be possible to make Zope package-
portable but it isn't, at least not without writing import hooks, which
make my head hurt alot more than meta-classes. ;)

> > > To further enhance this mechanism I would like to have an
> > > alias mechanism in import, pickle et al. so that changes
> > > in the package structures become manageable without user
> > > intervention: pickles are a major problem whenever import
> > > structures change because they store absolute module names.
> >
> > This is a different issue, and may have merits of its own.  WRT the relative
> > import scheme, its advantage seems to lie in providing a way to partially
> > recover from the damage the new scheme causes <0.5 wink>.
>
> I'm not proposing a new scheme... only a convenience for package
> authors.

I think that this is an important convenience that is probably not
appreciated until you write a complex package structure.

Jim

repeats.